"I met a man who lives in Tennessee, and he was headin' for...

Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie" - There's No Place Like Home

So this blog was initially created on my own terms to recount my adventures in grad school, then it was turned into a graded blog that made up part of my grade in my digital lass, now, we're back to recounting my adventures while simultaneously talking about classes because something tells me this semester is going to be one wacky ride!

But for starters, I went home!

Yes, I, Jessica Chernich, returned home to the lovely state of Pennsylvania for the holidays for a much needed break from staring at a mid-19th century house and singing Civil War era songs. 

Instead, I stared at 18th century houses and still sang Civil War Songs Christmas Carols. 
Shameless house photo

It's a funny thing how you can simultaneously realize that you might not want to get nose deep in preservation but still scream out of a moving vehicle: "THAT IS A LOVELY GEORGIAN FARMHOUSE!" 

At this point, I don't know if I would ever want to specialize in preservation. After talking with my boss at the Heritage Center, he's of the opinion that it is the direction the field is taking, but still, it's something I appreciate far more than fully practicing it. Will it be a part of a future job? Maybe, and if it is, I at least have the knowledge 
on how to address preservation. Truly though, bless the people who can do it full time.

When I wasn't screaming at houses, I was making presents, and when I wasn't making presents, I was begrudgingly working on my ticket to the future: my resume.

Actually, I haven't done the paper version yet, but I have been working on my website. That's right, I have a website that acts as my resume 2.0. I started it my senior year of undergrad when someone in the career center said we should have one. So, I made one. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Where a resume has to be brief and to the point while still conveying who you are, this at least acts as a consolidation of my experience and some of my favorite projects that I might not be able to talk about in my resume.

So yes, it is a glorified CV, but it's my glorified CV.

Otherwise, I worked on some schoolwork, my project for my RA at Eldon House, watched too much Star Trek, and went to a good friends wedding. Overall, it was an amazing break, but I'm ready to get back to work. I'm predicting future posts to be filled with muses on museums and technological capers from an interactive exhibit design class.

It. Will. Be. Great.

Festina Lente my friends
--Jess--

In the meantime, enjoy this photo of my dog nobly standing on some ruins.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip,...

"If you can't get the people to the museum

“I may not have gone where I intended to go,...